Johnstown, PA
Slideshow image
Johnstown, PA
NATIONAL RADIATOR COMPANY
1929 National Radiator awarded fellowship to Mellon Institute to develop method for making radiator sections by electro-forming. This was not successful but developed method for refining iron by electrolytic deposition.

1934 Pilot plant, Plastic Metals Division of National Radiator, was formed and first shipment of Electrolytic Iron Powder was made using bath tubs as cells and Armco Ingot Iron as anodes with Stainless Steel cathodes. Oldest Iron Powder producer in United States.

1939 Started the commercial production of Electrolytic Iron for high density sintered parts and high purity iron magnets. Purchased 3' x 25' Rotary Kiln to make Sponge Iron to replace high cost ingot iron. Used mill scale as the iron oxide and petroleum coke as the reducing agent. A 2,000 ton press was used to compact the sponge iron into an anode. This was not successful but developed method for making low cost iron powder, and the plant became a major factor in the industry.

1942 The plant experienced steady growth. Replaced 3' kiln with a 6' kiln.

1950 Installed electric furnace for making high carbon shot.

1954 Replaced 6' kiln with one 8' diameter by 80' long.

1955 National Radiator merged with U.S. Radiator. Name of plant changed to Metals Division.

1960 Crane Company purchased National - U.S. Radiator and became National - U.S. Radiator.

1961 The Glidden Company purchased operations from Crane.

1962 Purchased the alloy powder facilities of Vanadium Alloys Steel (Vasco), (Teledyne). Purchased Magnetic Powder facilities from Stackpole Carbon (Core Powders).

1964 Note: At this point, approximately 80% of the Electrolytic Iron production was sold as Melt Stock, and the Sponge Iron output for Cutting and Scarfing applications (with little used for compacting). The costly electric furnace's high carbon shot led to the purchasing of high purity high carbon shot from Quebec Iron and Titanium Company to get into the compacting - commodity iron business. By direct reduction with H2 of the shot and iron oxide (Fe2O3) Low Alloy Mill Scale, a medium growth compacting Sponge Iron was developed (MG-280) and introduced to the very highly competitive marketplace.

Product lines now mainly consisted of:

Electrolytic Iron, Melt Stock and Powder
Sponge Iron, Cutting and Scarfing
Sponge Iron, Compacting
Alloys, Stainless Steel and Metal Surfacing
Core Powder

1965 Purchased Vacuum Melting equipment from Armetco.

1967 SCM purchased Glidden. Name changed to Glidden Metals.

1969 Started producing copper oxides (Cu0 and Cu2O3) plus high green strength and catalyst copper from copper scale and copper precipitate respectively, mainly to support Johnstown Plant and relieve Hammond of excessive demand for their products.

1970-1972 Dropped sponge iron lines involving the rotary kiln and MG-280 system plus vacuum melting. Replaced by copper lines and growth in Alloys and new product (Glidcop).

1973 Installed pilot facilities for dispersion strengthened copper (GlidCop).

1975 Built new Alloy facilities.

1977-1978 Expanded GlidCop operations. (5 month strike).

1978-1983 Phased out of Copper Oxide and high green strength production and introduced Tool Steels and expanded metal surfacing output.

Production line now mainly consisted of:

Electrolytic Iron
Dispersion strengthened copper (GlidCop)
Alloys
Catalyst Copper
Core Powders

1986 Hanson Ltd. acquired SCm Corporation by means of a tender offer.

1991-1992 Copper Alloy facility constructed and operational.

1995 Hanson demerger. US Industries formed.

1996 OMG bought Powders.

2003 Hoganas bought OMG and renamed North American Hoganas, High Alloys.